Subject: Re: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2024 19:03:05 +0200

> Sure thing:

Thanks.  The geometry values are consistent with what you described.
This seems to be Bug#67654 and Bug#68463 and possibly Bug#65559.  When
you run Emacs from a console or under gdb can you observe whether it
triggers a

gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

which typically means that the menubar cannot be accommodated.

The one really notable difference to the above bugs is that the 29
version makes a shrunk frame only after you've removed the menubar while
master makes a shrunk frame immediately.  Are the GTK versions of the
Emacs 29 build and the master build the same?

 > The window manager is mutter, I suppose?
 >>
 >
 > Indeed, yes.

mutter doesn't like us.  Just to make sure one thing: Would setting
'frame-resize-pixelwise' to t change anything?

Otherwise I would try to build Emacs with gtk2, lucid or motif.

martin