Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2024 16:59:14 +0100

On Tue, 3 Sept 2024 at 16:52, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  >> Reproduction with Emacs 29.3 (also with git master HEAD, see below).
>  >>
>  >> Run: emacs -Q
>  >> C-x 5 2 ; window opens the same size as the initial window
>  >> M-x menu-bar-mode RET ; disable menu-bar-mode
>
> Here with a GTK-3 build on XFCE disabling menu-bar-mode makes both
> frames smaller by the menu bar height.  Does this happen on your system?
>

Yes it does.

 >> C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window
>  >>
>  >> With master HEAD (commit 92ea393a16e), the situation is slightly
> different:
>  >>
>  >> Run: emacs -Q
>  >> C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window
>
> In all these cases after every single step please evaluate
>
> (frame-geometry)
>
> and post the results here.

Sure thing:

Emacs 29:

emacs -Q
(frame-geometry): ((outer-position 1127 . 81) (outer-size 1384 . 1504)
(external-border-size 28 . 34) (outer-border-width . 0) (title-bar-size 0 .
46) (menu-bar-external . t) (menu-bar-size 1328 . 50) (tab-bar-size 0 . 0)
(tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position . top) (tool-bar-size 1328 . 82)
(internal-border-width . 0))
C-x 5 2
menu-bar-mode RET
(frame-geometry): ((outer-position 1127 . 81) (outer-size 1384 . 1454)
(external-border-size 28 . 34) (outer-border-width . 0) (title-bar-size 0 .
46) (menu-bar-external . t) (menu-bar-size 0 . 0) (tab-bar-size 0 . 0)
(tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position . top) (tool-bar-size 1328 . 82)
(internal-border-width . 0))
C-x 5 2
(frame-geometry): ((outer-position 28 . 90) (outer-size 456 . 570)
(external-border-size 28 . 34) (outer-border-width . 0) (title-bar-size 0 .
46) (menu-bar-external . t) (menu-bar-size 0 . 0) (tab-bar-size 0 . 0)
(tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position . top) (tool-bar-size 400 . 82)
(internal-border-width . 0))

Emacs git master (commit 92ea393a16e):
emacs -Q
(frame-geometry): ((outer-position 28 . 90) (outer-size 1384 . 1504)
(external-border-size 28 . 34) (outer-border-width . 0) (title-bar-size 0 .
46) (menu-bar-external . t) (menu-bar-size 1328 . 50) (tab-bar-size 0 . 0)
(tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position . top) (tool-bar-size 1328 . 82)
(internal-border-width . 0))
C-x 5 2
(frame-geometry): ((outer-position 108 . 170) (outer-size 456 . 620)
(external-border-size 28 . 34) (outer-border-width . 0) (title-bar-size 0 .
46) (menu-bar-external . t) (menu-bar-size 400 . 50) (tab-bar-size 0 . 0)
(tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position . top) (tool-bar-size 400 . 82)
(internal-border-width . 0))

The window manager is mutter, I suppose?

Indeed, yes.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org