Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2024 19:11:49 +0100

On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 at 09:55, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Thanks.  In my previous patch I wrongly rejected a ConfigureNotify
> because I didn't correctly calculate the expected size of the native
> frame from the scaled size we requested earlier.  Please try again with
> the attached patch the basic four behaviors of the first frame with and
> without menu bar and the second frame with and without menu bar.  Don't
> bother about visibility.
>

First frame with menu bar:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x56c5e0b0cf88>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=664x655
tool-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
 +values, PS=200x195, XS=664x696
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=664x696
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

First frame without menu bar:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* - GNU Emacs at dwks
0x5f14cf87c2c0>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, unchanged, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
 +values, PS=664x655, XS=664x630
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1308, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1308, DS=664x630
tool-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
 +values, PS=664x654, XS=664x671
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1176, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1176, DS=664x671
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=664x671
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

Second frame with menu bar:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x56c5e0b0cf88>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=664x655
tool-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
 +values, PS=200x195, XS=664x696
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=664x696
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

Second frame without menu bar:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x5c4df2a6a5a8>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x374, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x374, DS=664x630
tool-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
 +values, PS=200x187, XS=664x671
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=664x671
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

> I meanwhile tried to run GNOME but I upgraded my Debian since the last
> time I used it and now most of my previous customizations are gone,
> display resembles that of a cell phone (or maybe Windows 10), many
> programs I used earlier are not available any more and tracker hogs my
> hard disk every time I log in.  I have no idea how to disable programs
> that autostart and don't even know how to log off.  So I'm afraid that I
> won't be able to test things there and will have to rely on your tests
> even in the future.
>

OK, no problem.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org