Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 17:24:39 +0100

On Tue, 10 Sept 2024 at 18:16, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Can I just check: do you want me to apply your latest gtkutil-reject.diff
> > on top of your previous size_hints.diff, or instead of it?
>
> Instead of it.
>

Here is the frame size history:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x56bbf9520158>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
tool-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=2560x1346, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=2560x1346, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=2560x1326, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, rejected, PS=1328x1260, XS=2560x1326, DS=1328x1260
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

Note that something quite different happens when I open the second frame:
it ends up full screen, but the Emacs window only occupies the same space
as the initial window (roughly half the screen wide, and a little shorter
than the screen).

frame-char-width: 16
frame-char-height: 35

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org