Subject: 28.2; DOS in Shell-script mode

From: Chris Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 12:35:18 -0300

I've been seeing Emacs hang up repeatedly for no apparent reason recently
while editing shell scripts. I spent the time to isolate the issue. It
turns out that I can reproduce the issue by opening a new shell script file
and typing the word "in" 20 or 30 times on a single line:

$ emacs -Q
C-x C-f /tmp/x.sh
echo in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in
in in in in in in in

After about 20 'in's, things slow down noticeably, and I can't get to 30
without it hanging.

I fixed the issue by replacing "in" with "'in'" in my script.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2024-06-25, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-28.2+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings cl-extra help-mode rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie
executable dired-aux term/screen term/xterm xterm cus-edit pp cus-start
wid-edit ido time cus-load wdired dired dired-loaddefs so-long shell
pcomplete rust-utils thingatpt rust-mode rx rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
rust-cargo finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 199366 8596)
 (symbols 48 13308 1)
 (strings 32 65460 2058)
 (string-bytes 1 1538163)
 (vectors 16 22561)
 (vector-slots 8 424286 17680)
 (floats 8 62 347)
 (intervals 56 1790 178)
 (buffers 992 17))