Subject: Possible documentation improvement: Clarification for package installation

From: Krystian Samp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 12:41:11 +0200

Hello,

I was reading the section on "Libraries of Lisp Code for Emacs" (section
28.8) in the Emacs manual, and I encountered a passage that seems a bit
unclear. The text suggests that when using package-install, Emacs might
automatically add initialization code to the init.el file, which doesn’t
seem to match my experience.

Specifically, the manual states: "Installing a package using
package-install takes care of placing the package’s Lisp files in a
directory where Emacs will find it, and also writes the necessary
initialization code into your init files [...]"

>From my understanding, package-install does not modify init.el directly,
which is how I interpret the documentation above. Instead, Emacs calls
package-initialize which makes the installed packages available,
automatically.

I want to check if this is a valid concern / interpretation that warrants a
documentation change. If so, I'll be happy to create a patch.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Krystian