Subject: Re: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:13:59 +0900

>>>>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:25:44 +0200, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> said:

> The Emacs frame can be partly hidden by the taskbar even when the
> frame is the active w32 window if the height is set to the value
> x-dsiplay-pixel-height (when for example the frame is aligned to the
> top and the taskbar is at the bottom of the display), that is the
> problem. Sorry if that was unclear.

Some X11 window managers automatically adjust window position/size
(and send some notifications to the application) when it appears, so
it fits in the screen.  On Mac OS X, Cocoa also does similar
adjustments for document windows (roughly speaking, windows with title
bar), and Carbon doesn't.

Sometimes it gives a cleaner implementation to emulate such window
manager tasks at the application side for non-X11 ports.  For example,
the Mac port emulates maximized, fullwidth, fullheight, and fullscreen
windows, which are (EWMH-aware) window-manager tasks on X11, at the
application side.  Perhaps W32 can do similar things for window
position/size adjustments so the window height is automatically
shortened when the specified height exceeds the "available" height.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]