Subject: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:15:55 +0200

Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-10-29 14:28:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:13:49 +0200
>>> From: Jan Djärv<[email-masked]>
>>> CC: Lennart Borgman<[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>>
>>>> What use-case could possibly want to know the dimensions that include
>>>> unusable portion?
>>>>
>>> They are not unusable.  One can create a frame that covers the
>>> taskbar/panel/whatever.
>> On MS-Windows?  If so, what is this bug report about?  It says:
>>
>>   If you want to know how much height there is available to display a
>>   frame then display-pixel-height does not give you the information you
>>   need. The taskbar (w32 name, I have no idea what it is called on other
>>   platform) and other "bars" may have reserved some of the vertical
>>   space.
>>
>> "Reserved" means, to me, that those parts cannot be used.  What am I
>> missing?
> Perhaps nothing. On w32 maximized windows covers the area that are not
> reserved by the taskbar (or other bars). I think this is the area that
> we should return (as I have said before).
>
> Maybe a bit of confusion comes in because the taskbar only reserves
> this area on w32 if it is not automatically hidden.

I tried on W32 (Windows 7).  Maximizing a window does not use the space 
occupied by the taskbar, but there is no problem in creating a frame 
that does.  So an unmximized window can be taller than a maximized one.
On Gnome, the window manager won't let you do this, so when you set 
frame height/geometry to anything that might cover a panel, it adjusts 
the X window so it doesn't cover any panels.

     Jan D.

     Jan D.