Subject: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:28:38 +0200

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:13:49 +0200
>> From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
>> CC: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>
>> > What use-case could possibly want to know the dimensions that include
>> > unusable portion?
>> >
>>
>> They are not unusable.  One can create a frame that covers the
>> taskbar/panel/whatever.
>
> On MS-Windows?  If so, what is this bug report about?  It says:
>
>  If you want to know how much height there is available to display a
>  frame then display-pixel-height does not give you the information you
>  need. The taskbar (w32 name, I have no idea what it is called on other
>  platform) and other "bars" may have reserved some of the vertical
>  space.
>
> "Reserved" means, to me, that those parts cannot be used.  What am I
> missing?

Perhaps nothing. On w32 maximized windows covers the area that are not
reserved by the taskbar (or other bars). I think this is the area that
we should return (as I have said before).

Maybe a bit of confusion comes in because the taskbar only reserves
this area on w32 if it is not automatically hidden.