Subject: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:37:16 +0100

2010-10-31 13:46, Lennart Borgman skrev:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Jan Djärv<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
>>>> I know that W32 has some mechanism to maximize a window without fiddling
>>>> with height and width. You should check if there is a similar way to
>>>> maximize just height by asking the system to do it.
>>>
>>> I told how to do this earlier in this thread. Or did not that message
>>> reach
>>> you?
>>
>> Actually you did not.  You showed how to get display pixel sizes.  More is
>> needed to correctly calculate the Emacs frame dimensions.
>
> Some misunderstanding. I told the API:s for getting the size of the work area.

Whis is not the same thing at all.  Making an Emacs frame maximized in height 
from lisp code is so much more, as others have told you.  And you need a sure 
way to do this for all platforms and for all window managers if it is to be 
any good at all.

>
>> One of the advantage of letting the window manager do it is that it knows
>> about multiple displays.  It seems that on w32 you have to figure out this
>> yourself.  I guess the lowlevel API functions can be used so that fullwidth
>> and fullheight works on w32.  That is so much better than letting lisp code
>> calculate frame sizes.
>
> I do not understand what you mean. I gave references to the API:s to
> do exactly this. What is unclear?

Nothing is unclear.  It is just that you want to change one value for another 
with unforseen consequences for various platforms instead of solving the 
problem, making a window maximized on height.

If we change display-height, it will cause problems on other platforms, X11 
comes to mind, where autohide and panel always on top is something the window 
manager keeps track of.  If we only do this for W32 display height means two 
different things.  Also as has been pointed out, stuff like calculating DPI 
will be wrong.

	Jan D.