Subject: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:46:23 +0100

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> Emacs should refrain from trying to maximize frames itself, because it is
>>> not so simple as you state to just replace one height with another.
>>
>> I never said something about using those values for maximizing a frame.
>> You simply do not do it that way on w32.
>
> Hmm, what was this about then:
> "Every function that tries to maximize just height will do it".

Ah, I see. A misunderstanding. On w32 the window manager can maximize
a window, but it can't just maximize the height and not the width.
"Maximized" on w32 is a state where the window is not moveable and the
window occupies the working area of the display (taking into account
how the taskbars are configured).

>>> I know that W32 has some mechanism to maximize a window without fiddling
>>> with height and width. You should check if there is a similar way to
>>> maximize just height by asking the system to do it.
>>
>> I told how to do this earlier in this thread. Or did not that message
>> reach
>> you?
>
> Actually you did not.  You showed how to get display pixel sizes.  More is
> needed to correctly calculate the Emacs frame dimensions.

Some misunderstanding. I told the API:s for getting the size of the work area.

> One of the advantage of letting the window manager do it is that it knows
> about multiple displays.  It seems that on w32 you have to figure out this
> yourself.  I guess the lowlevel API functions can be used so that fullwidth
> and fullheight works on w32.  That is so much better than letting lisp code
> calculate frame sizes.

I do not understand what you mean. I gave references to the API:s to
do exactly this. What is unclear?