Subject: bug#7296: display-pixel-height not enough

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:51:08 +0100

Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-10-30 20.59:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Jan Djärv<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>
>>
>> Emacs should refrain from trying to maximize frames itself, because it is
>> not so simple as you state to just replace one height with another.
>
> I never said something about using those values for maximizing a frame. You
> simply do not do it that way on w32.

Hmm, what was this about then:
"Every function that tries to maximize just height will do it".

>
>> I know that W32 has some mechanism to maximize a window without fiddling
>> with height and width. You should check if there is a similar way to
>> maximize just height by asking the system to do it.
>
> I told how to do this earlier in this thread. Or did not that message reach
> you?

Actually you did not.  You showed how to get display pixel sizes.  More is 
needed to correctly calculate the Emacs frame dimensions.
One of the advantage of letting the window manager do it is that it knows 
about multiple displays.  It seems that on w32 you have to figure out this 
yourself.  I guess the lowlevel API functions can be used so that fullwidth 
and fullheight works on w32.  That is so much better than letting lisp code 
calculate frame sizes.

>
>> It is why Emacs only does maximizing and fullscreen by delegering it to
>> the window manager in X.
>
> Yes, it should do it the same way on w32, but you can not do it for just
> height or just width on w32. (But you can set height (or width) to the same
> value as it is with a maximized window.)

	Jan D.