Subject: Re: bug#72949: Gnus sometimes reports new messages but not showing them on IMAP server

From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 15:30:40 +0530

Dan Christensen wrote:

> An alternative to
>
>   (max (1+ (- (cdr active) (car active))) 0)
>
> would be (range-length active), I believe.  (Untested.)  That function
> assume that the range is well-formed, so doesn't use max to avoid
> negative numbers, but that's probably fine.  (range-length '(1 . 0))
> does correctly return 0.
>
> Dan

Just wanna chime in with what's in (info "(gnus) Required Back End
Functions"):

  Gnus just discards the total-number, so whether one should take the
  bother to generate it properly (if that is a problem) is left as an
  exercise to the reader.

--