Subject: Re: bug#72962: php-8.3.10 build failure

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2024 17:27:19 +1000

Hi Marek!

On Wed, Sep 04 2024, Marek Paśnikowski wrote:
> This is my first time composing a patch review — I am not sure if I am
> doing it correctly.

Thanks for taking a look at my patch!

> I attempted to build php with the following command:
> =
> guix build php --with-patch=gd=patch-1.txt --with-patch=php=patch-2.txt
> =

I don't expect this command to work. The --with-patch argument expects
to apply the patch to the source of the package, whereas the patches I
have prepared should be applied on a checkout of the Guix git repository
(which you can clone from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git).

You should be able to apply them in a fresh clone of the repository with
"git am $patch-name". To build, you can follow the instructions in the
manual "(guix) Building from Git". After that, you can build PHP with
these patches with "./pre-inst-env guix build php".

This can take a bit of time, but things are easier once you're set up
with a working Guix clone.

Carlo