Subject: Re: bug#72925: Adding JPM package for Janet

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 16:22:59 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> I suppose JPM shells out to GCC to compiler Janet (or C?) code, right?

Yes.

> I’d recommend adding ‘gcc’, ‘glibc’, ‘binutils’, and ‘ld-wrapper’ to
> ‘inputs’; that’d less us avoid the ‘gcc-toolchain’ dance.
>
> Then in, the phase above, make sure to ‘search-input-file’ rather than
> direct references to these variables.
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds good.

> Alternatively, depending on how important this is for JPM, you could
> also leave it up to users to install ‘gcc-toolchain’ alongside JPM when
> they need it.

It's a pretty essential dependency for JPM, so adding gcc, glibc etc to
inputs would be preferable.

I'll submit v13 shortly.  I look forward to your elaboration on why
direct references aren't preferable.  Thank you for taking the time to
review.

-- 
Suhail