Subject: Re: bug#72925: Adding JPM package for Janet

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 16:17:27 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +                         (("\"curl\"")
>> +                          (string-append "\""
>> +                                         #$curl "/bin/curl" "\"")))
>> +                       (substitute* "jpm/shutil.janet"
>> +                         (("cp")
>> +                          (string-append #$coreutils "/bin/cp")))
>
> Please add ‘git-minimal/pinned’, ‘curl’, and ‘coreutils-minimal’ to the
> ‘inputs’ field.  Then you can fix the stanzas above to things like:
>
>   (string-append "\"" (search-input-file inputs "/bin/curl") "\"")

Happy to make the requested changes.

Could you please, however, elaborate on the guiding principle here?
I.e., what's the "lesson" here?  It seems that the preference is for
search-input-file over gexps such as #$curl, but it's not clear what
makes it the preferred approach.

-- 
Suhail