Subject: Re: [PATCH v10] gnu: Add jpm.

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2024 14:51:22 -0400

Omar Bassam <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I gave tried replacing gcc-toolchain with gcc and both the "jpm install"
>>> commands and the "jpm build" commands worked fine for me without any
>>> issues. I didn't need to set up any C related environemnt variables.
>>> What kind of error where you getting? 
>>
>> I am unable to get the exact message at the moment (due to non-technical
>> and unrelated reasons), but it was some missing header file.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the quoted message above, however, what would be
>> better than propagating gcc, g++ etc would be to ensure that jpm passes
>> appropriate flags when invoking them.  Have you looked into that?
>>
>
> I am not really an expert in compiling C programs so I'm not sure what
> would be the best way to verify this? the "jpm build" command ran fine
> for me and I don't have any of those C*PATH environment variables set.

When gcc-toolchain is excluded from propagated-inputs, and neither gcc
nor g++ is in propagated-inputs (i.e., propagated-inputs only contains
janet), you *don't* observe a build failure in a _pure_ container where
nss-certs is available while evaluating "jpm install -l sh"?

If so, please let me know and I shall try and reproduce the error I
experienced.

If not, and you are simply stating that things work by propagating gcc
and g++, then we are talking about different things.  Specifically, I
was considering what would be needed for eliminating gcc and g++ from
propagated-inputs.

> Is it possible to set a default value for that environment variable?

Since you already set $JANET_HEADERPATH and $JANET_LIBPATH via
wrap-program, I am not sure I understand the complication you're running
into while trying to provide a default for $SSL_CERT_DIR.

-- 
Suhail