Subject: Guile 3.0.10 fails to build for powerpc-darwin (3.0.9 built earlier)

From: Sergey Fedorov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 05:20:33 +0800

Greetings,
Could someone take a look, please?

I am not familiar with Guile internals, so need some help with fixing this.
Guile 3.0.9 was building with minimal fixes for Darwin ppc, however I am
unable to get 3.0.10 build.
I have tried to change some configure settings, but the failure is not
sensitive to any, it seems.

The error looks like this:

:info:build   BOOTSTRAP(stage1) GUILEC ice-9/control.go
:info:build Backtrace:
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1755:12 19 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _
#:unwind-for-type _)
:info:build In system/base/compile.scm:
:info:build     69:11 18 (_)
:info:build    190:11 17 (_ #<closed: file 2841ea8>)
:info:build     309:6 16 (read-and-compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    352:28 15 (compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    265:44 14 (_ _ _)
:info:build    261:33 13 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 common-list) 28a8320>)
:info:build In language/cps/optimize.scm:
:info:build     136:2 12 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 common-list) 28a8320>)
:info:build     111:3 11 (optimize-first-order-cps _ _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     414:6 10 (optimize-branch-chains _)
:info:build In language/cps/intmap.scm:
:info:build     519:6  9 (visit-branch #(#(#(#<intset 0-155> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) # ?) ?) ?) ?)
:info:build     519:6  8 (visit-branch #(#(#<intset 0-155> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (#) # ?) ?)
?)
:info:build     519:6  7 (visit-branch #((absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #<intset 156-199> (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) _ 128 _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     99:36  6 (fold-branch-chains #<intmap 0-1831> _ _
#<procedure optimize-branch-chain (var exit tests cps)> _)
:info:build     343:8  5 (optimize-branch-chain 122 181 (158 159 160 161
162 163 164 165 167 169 171 173 175 177 179) _)
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build    260:13  4 (for-each #<procedure 412a570 at
language/cps/switch.scm:343:18 (expr)> _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build    340:32  3 (_ (count-if . 170))
:info:build In language/cps/guile-vm.scm:
:info:build     89:31  2 (target-symbol-hash _)
:info:build     41:18  1 (jenkins-lookup3-hashword2 "count-if")
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1676:22  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
:info:build ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
:info:build Value out of range 0 to< 18446744073709551615: -432225964
:info:build gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:2516: ice-9/common-list.go] Error 1
:info:build gmake[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
:info:build Backtrace:
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1755:12 19 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _
#:unwind-for-type _)
:info:build In system/base/compile.scm:
:info:build     69:11 18 (_)
:info:build    190:11 17 (_ #<closed: file 2841ea8>)
:info:build     309:6 16 (read-and-compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    352:28 15 (compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    265:44 14 (_ _ _)
:info:build    261:33 13 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 control) 288cf00>)
:info:build In language/cps/optimize.scm:
:info:build     136:2 12 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 control) 288cf00>)
:info:build     111:3 11 (optimize-first-order-cps _ _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     414:6 10 (optimize-branch-chains _)
:info:build In language/cps/intmap.scm:
:info:build     519:6  9 (visit-branch #(#(#(#<intset 0-129> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) #<intset 130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) # ?) ?) ?) ?)
:info:build     519:6  8 (visit-branch #(#(#<intset 0-129> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) #<intset 130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (#) # ?) ?)
?)
:info:build     519:6  7 (visit-branch #((absent) (absent) #<intset
130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
#<intset 154-734,1124-1129> (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
#f) _ 128 _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     99:36  6 (fold-branch-chains #<intmap 0-1129> _ _
#<procedure optimize-branch-chain (var exit tests cps)> _)
:info:build     343:8  5 (optimize-branch-chain 100 151 (132 134 136 138
140) _)
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build    260:13  4 (for-each #<procedure 39d7ea0 at
language/cps/switch.scm:343:18 (expr)> _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build    340:32  3 (_ (call-with-escape-continuation . 135))
:info:build In language/cps/guile-vm.scm:
:info:build     89:31  2 (target-symbol-hash _)
:info:build     41:18  1 (jenkins-lookup3-hashword2
"call-with-escape-continuation")
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1676:22  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
:info:build ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
:info:build Value out of range 0 to< 18446744073709551615: -512332661
:info:build gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:2516: ice-9/control.go] Error 1
:info:build wrote `language/cps/guile-vm/lower-primcalls.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/guile-vm/reify-primitives.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/compile-bytecode.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/types.go'
:info:build gmake[2]: Leaving directory
'/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_lang_guile-3.0/guile-3.0/work/guile-3.0.10/stage1'
:info:build gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:2180: all-recursive] Error 1
:info:build gmake[1]: Leaving directory
'/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_lang_guile-3.0/guile-3.0/work/guile-3.0.10'
:info:build gmake: *** [Makefile:2065: all] Error 2

P. S. Given that it takes about 11 hrs to reach to this point (because
pre-built binaries for ppc32 are broken since guile2, and a full bootstrap
is needed), it is somewhat problematic to debug this blindly without an
idea what could cause this failure.