Subject: Re: [bug#72912] [PATCH 0/1] Update Minetest to 5.9.0 (again)

From: Jan Wielkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 17:15:13 +0200

On Thu, 5 Sep 2024 22:48:40 -0400
Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2024 at 01:05:48AM +0200, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
> > Do I need to apply the patch and resend it or will a maintainer take
> > care of that?
> 
> I prepared an updated patch (attached).
> 
> There's something I don't quite understand:
> 
> The "minetest-game" package doesn't provide any executables. It's just
> data.
> 
> The "minetest" package still runs and lets me play the basic minetest
> game locally or on a server.
> 
> Is that expected? I would have expected differently based on the news
> about the removal of the game from the engine's codebase.

The Minetest engine is written in C++ but provides a modding Lua API.
Games and mods are written in Lua and Minetest (the engine) executes
them in a similar fashion as Emacs does to Elisp scripts or a web
browser does to JavaScript. Minetest Game (MTG) was previously the
default game and came preinstalled with the engine (the minetest-data
package).

So doing "guix install minetest" should give you only the "engine" and
this is what you should see after starting:
https://p.mort.coffee/4Og.png

If you see the minetest game installed along minetest that probably
means you had the older Minetest install in your profile and that
minetest-data got replaced by "minetest-game". An alternative
explanation is having MTG installed manually in
~/.minetest/games/minetest_game

> Leo