Subject: Re: bug#72891: [PATCH RFC] doc: Define the purpose, membership, and creation of teams.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2024 19:26:53 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 at 12:12, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * doc/contributing.texi (Teams): Define the purpose of teams; provide
> example; clarify membership and team creation.
> (Reviewing the Work of Others): Link to “Teams”.
>
> Change-Id: I5d75f69bc4653eb9da9c1d1f920718238ea83b9d
> ---
>  doc/contributing.texi | 63 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
>  1 file changed, 53 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

This patch LGTM modulo minor comments.

  ( Aside, I am less and less comfortable to have a manual that collects
    our practises instead of separated documents.  Anyway. :-) )

> +To organize work on Guix, including but not just development efforts,
> +the project has a set of @dfn{teams}.  Each team has its own focus and
> +interests and is the primary contact point for questions and
> +contributions in those areas.  A team's primary mission is to coordinate
> +and review the work of individuals in its scope (@pxref{Reviewing the
> +Work of Others}); it can make decisions within its scope, in agreement
> +with other teams whenever there is overlap or a close connection, and in
> +accordance with other project rules such as seeking consensus.
> +@c TODO: Currently ``consensus-based decision making'' is discussed
> +@c under ``Commit Access''.  Move that elsewhere and refer to it from
> +@c here.

If we are at it.  I think this “section Teams” should be moved to its
own section and not a subsection of “Submitting Patches”.

The “consensus” should also move to its own section.

See v2 for a proposal.

> +As an example, the Python team is responsible for core Python packaging

[...]

> +To list existing teams, run the following command from a Guix checkout:

What is missing between the brackets [...] is a link to “Reviewing the
work of others”.  Somehow, I would add a sentence clarifying “its work”.
For instance, I propose a last sentence in the paragraph:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
As an example, the Python team is responsible for core Python packaging

[...]

the entire community.  Other said, teams provide feedback on patches
touching its scope (@pxref{Reviewing the Work of Others}).
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Cheers,
simon