Subject: Re: bug#72857: 30.0.90; emacs 30: eshell-execute-file DESTINATION

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 19:17:28 -0700

On 8/28/2024 1:51 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 8/28/2024 10:45 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> - Manual (in conjuction with the Redirection section) seems to imply 
>> that I should be able specify a symbol as a destination. Passing in 
>> either foo or 'foo does not work, however. In both cases it tries to 
>> use the value of foo as a redirection target.
> 
> Probably a bug. An additional quote is probably required somewhere in 
> Eshell.
> 
>> - Manual implies I should be able to pass in a virtual target. Passing 
>> in "/dev/kill" and "/dev/clip" work as expected. If I try to pass in 
>> "/dev/null", I get error "Debugger entered--Lisp error: (no-catch 
>> eshell-null-device t)", but perhaps I just need to turn the debugger 
>> off. "/dev/eshell" doesn't seem to do anything, though I'm not sure 
>> exactly what is suppose to happen.
> 
> Probably also a bug, though I'm not sure where it would be since I'd 
> expect that would Just Work(TM).

These should all be fixed as of b6f4ffcc106 on the master branch. Maybe 
we should backport to the release branch, but the code has already 
diverged here due to some restructuring on the master branch. I'll sleep 
on it though to make sure I haven't missed some obvious detail...