Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: pidgin: Update to 2.14.13 [security fixes].

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 21:30:21 +0000

On 28.08.24 22:22, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, dem 28.08.2024 um 20:01 +0000 schrieb Dariqq:
>> Should configure scripts always be regenerated when building from
>> tarballs?
> I think it makes sense to do so.
> 

Ok, will adjust this in a v2 (probably tomorrow sometime)

>>> As a follow-up commit, you might want to drop the input labels.
>>>
>> ALso noticed some other things later today:
>> - no status icon : --enable-trayicon-compat
> That one's de gustibus, especially in GNOME, where tray icons have
> fallen out of favour.

On my other system (not yet running guix) pidgin is built without this 
option and i have an icon (both gnome + appindicator extension). Need to 
investigate more.

Also dbus support would be nice,.
 From the configure log:
checking for python3... no
configure: WARNING: python3 interpreter not found in your path
Building without D-Bus support

Maybe we can just upgrade to python3 and be happy.

>> -  nss-certs:  --with-system-ssl-certs=<dir>
> Pidgin should support the environment variable SSL_CERT_DIR – it would
> be a bug if not.

Was grepping the tarball and could not find any reference to 
SSL_CERT_DIR. Without specifying a path to system certs pidgin/libpurple 
seems to bundle its own.

  The few package recipes i checked from other distribitions specify 
their global store here.

>> - finch.pc requires libgnt. Should that also be propagated?
>> - Propagating gtk2 (required by pidgin.pc) conflicts in my home
>> environments with nm-applet propagating gtk3.
> Presumably, this ought to be fine (it is 2 vs 3 after all), but you
> might want to ignore the propagation(s), as pidgin is mostly used as an
> app.

This is the error i get:
guix home: error: profile contains conflicting entries for gtk+
guix home: error:   first entry: [email-masked] 
/gnu/store/mm0dbi0gnd1vlip26wfs1nlll7cn3rd8-gtk+-2.24.33
guix home: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix home: error:   second entry: [email-masked] 
/gnu/store/ix9kcspd3n2rws5il1pfpy7i2yfh0q7v-gtk+-3.24.41
guix home: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
hint: Try upgrading both `pidgin' and `network-manager-applet', or 
remove one of them from the profile.

"solved" this by making a local variant of pidgin with the propagated 
inputs as normal inputs.

>> - python2
> Ahh, well what can you do ‾\_(ツ)_/‾