Subject: bug#72848: closed (Re: bug#72848: [PATCH RESEND] xwidget: Fix xwidget-at misinterpreting non-xwidget text-properties)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 12:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72848: [PATCH RESEND] xwidget: Fix xwidget-at misinterpreting non-xwidget text-properties

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72848: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72848
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72848: [PATCH RESEND] xwidget: Fix xwidget-at misinterpreting non-xwidget text-properties
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: George Huebner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 15:13:58 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: George Huebner <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 20:03:44 -0500
> 
> xwidget-at assumes the text-property at `point-min` either doesn't
> exist or is an xwidget, and can improperly access fields. This 
> patch
> just returns nil if the text-property isn't an xwidget.
> 
> This is definitely an edge case; I use a package called org-modern
> where headlines are formatted with text-properties, which is how I
> found the bug:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp #("◉" 0 1
> (face org-modern-symbol)))
>  xwidget-at(1)
>  xwidget-webkit-current-session()

Thanks, installed on the emacs-30 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: [PATCH RESEND] xwidget: Fix xwidget-at misinterpreting non-xwidget text-properties
From: George Huebner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 20:03:44 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

xwidget-at assumes the text-property at `point-min` either doesn't
exist or is an xwidget, and can improperly access fields. This 
patch
just returns nil if the text-property isn't an xwidget.

This is definitely an edge case; I use a package called org-modern
where headlines are formatted with text-properties, which is how I
found the bug:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp #("◉" 0 1
(face org-modern-symbol)))
 xwidget-at(1)
 xwidget-webkit-current-session()

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.6.0, Carbon 
Version
170 AppKit 2487.7)
Windowing system distributor 'Apple Inc.', version 14.6.0
System Description:  macOS 14.6

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/59qdq2kd14ix95z4g3k9s6l79zwa2s2b-emacs-mac-macport-29.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --without-gif 
 --without-jpeg
 --without-png --without-tiff --without-x --without-xpm
 '--enable-mac-app=$$out/Applications' --with-gnutls --with-mac
 --with-xml2 --without-ns --with-compress-install
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-native-compilation
 --without-imagemagick --with-mailutils --without-small-ja-dic
 --with-tree-sitter --without-xinput2 --without-xwidgets 
 --without-dbus
 --without-selinux --with-xwidgets'
>From 48a662563bc6e7c5bc63dc63da4e0c36909b6cc2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: George Huebner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 01:46:07 -0500
Subject: [PATCH] xwidget: Fix xwidget-at misinterpreting non-xwidget
 text-properties

xwidget-open wrongly assumes the the text-property at min-position is an
xwidget, if it exists; the fix is just returning nil if the
text-property isn't an xwidget.
---
 lisp/xwidget.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/xwidget.el b/lisp/xwidget.el
index bf5987d..c5a84db 100644
--- a/lisp/xwidget.el
+++ b/lisp/xwidget.el
@@ -81,7 +81,7 @@ This returns the result of `make-xwidget'."
 (defun xwidget-at (pos)
   "Return xwidget at POS."
   (let* ((disp (get-text-property pos 'display))
-         (xw (car (cdr (cdr disp)))))
+         (xw (ignore-errors (car (cdr (cdr disp))))))
     (when (xwidget-live-p xw) xw)))

-- 
2.44.1