Subject: Re: bug#72840: [PATCH RFC] DRAFT doc: Add “Deprecation Policy” section.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 23:47:08 +0200

Hi,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Debian has the status of "orphaned" packages for the situations that you
> describe. Maybe Guix should have that as well? The main interest I see
> is keeping a list of "software we had but can't handle any more",
> ideally with a pointer to the last working state in Guix, e.g. the last
> commit for which CI could build the package. I'd even like such packages
> to show up in answers to "guix search", so that I know the difference
> between "not packaged yet" and "tough case we gave up on".

Sounds like a good idea.  This could be achieved with a package
property, maybe.

I’d like this to not block version 1 of the policy though.

>> if during one month nobody steps in to carry out the update, that is
>> telling.
>
> I don't know on which time scales other Guix users live, but for me, one
> month is the average delay between two "guix pull". In other words, one
> month is my notion of "immediately" when it comes to Guix.

Agreed.

Ludo’.