Subject: Re: bug#72840: [PATCH RFC] DRAFT doc: Add “Deprecation Policy” section.

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 10:22:05 +0200

Hi Ludo,

>> There's also a use case missing in the list in the beginning: Guix as a
>> dependency of some other software, which in the worst case is no longer
>> ...

> I think this is covered by the last point:
>
> +development of external tools that use programming interfaces such as
> +the @code{(guix ...)} modules.

Yes and no. I see external tools as two distinct use cases:

 - their development
 - their application

The missing case is application.

> There are quite a few actually: the CI/QA tools, package browsers like
> hpcguix-web, the Guix Workflow Language, Guix-Jupyter, rde, etc.

All those are add-on tools to the Guix CLI. I doubt these tools have any
user who wouldn't also use the Guix CLI. Meaning that they have a good
chance to learn about deprecations.

I am aware of a single tool that depends on Guix but whose functionality
is unrelated to Guix and could be implemented otherwise:

  https://github.com/khinsen/swh-checkout

It's a Guile script that uses Guix as a library for accessing Software
Heritage. And it's a mere proof-of-concept implementation. I don't
advertise it for general use. But I do expect more such tools to appear
over time, including some with more substantial dependence on Guix.

> As drafted here, there’s no enforcement and nobody having the duty of
> looking for violations and taking action.
>
> I view it as binding though.  If a user complains that their favorite
> package as been removed in violation of the policy, then we as a
> community should review the claim and reinstate the package, unless it

OK, that sounds good enough!

Cheers,
  Konrad.