Subject: [PATCH RFC] DRAFT doc: Add “Deprecation Policy” section.

From: Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 20:30:17 +0200

Thanks for writing this,

A few things come to mind:

– How do we remember to delete something after one year of deprecation?
Should the deprecation date be noted with the deprecation to easily see?

– There is no policy for updating packages through major versions, IMO
  this should be the same as deleting and the previous version should be
  kept for a while, at least for the time for dependencies to update
  upstream.

>+If the package being removed is a ``leaf'' (no other packages depend on
>+it), it may be removed after a @b{one-month review period} of the patch
>+removing it (this applies even when the removal has additional
>+motivations such as security problems affecting the package).

– Why do « leaves » get removed at all? The dependents could be
  users that installed it in their profiles or manifests, one month
  seems very low.

Overall it makes sense so thanks again for documenting this,
Noé

PS: RFCs don’t get announced to guix-devel? I only found out about this
from mastodon.