Subject: [bug#72813] [PATCH] gnu: packages: Fix git system configuration.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 19:07:24 +0200

Hi Lilah,

Lilah Tascheter <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Git's system config path is, by default, relative to the install prefix.
> Fix this to use the usual system path.
>
> System config is is pretty much the only way to change git config for
> system services.
>
> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (git/fixed): New variable.
>   (git)[replacement]: Graft with git/fixed.
>
> Change-Id: I44ae667baee6c9389a8f81da743d67d1a63070ed

Apologies for the delay.

In general we would use ‘replacement’ only for security issues.  In this
case I would suggest changing #:configure-flags in ‘git-minimal’ *and*
arrange so that ‘git-minimal/pinned’ remains unchanged (that is, it
should still have the previous #:configure-flags value).

You can check that by running:

  ./pre-inst-env guix build \
    -e '(@ (gnu packages version-control) git-minimal/pinned)' \
    --no-grafts -d

before and after your change.  The result should be identical.

Would you like to give it a try?

Thanks,
Ludo’.