Subject: Re: 30.0.90; editorconfig doesn't set tab_width to a default value

From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 22:23:14 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> when a .editorconfig file assigns a value for "indent_size" and no
>> value for "tab_width", I expect "tab_width" to default to the value of
>> "indent_size" as described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,
>
> Yes, I consciously disagreed with the standard here.  IMO, this better
> reflects Emacs's habitual behavior, so it makes more sense for Emacs users.
>
> Indeed, you can already get the "missing" behavior  by setting
> `indent_size` to `tab` and then setting `tab_width` to the desired
> indentation size.

The problem is that the .editorconfig file can be shared across users of
different editors for a given project. Emacs disagreeing with the
standard means that Emacs users will now have to explain to their
colleagues why they are introducing a change in a .editorconfig file
that the standard says is unnecessary. This is putting me, at least, in
an uncomfortable position with non-Emacs users in my team. Additionally,
if other editors disagree with the standard for other reasons, we may
quickly reach a situation where no content of .editorconfig will suit
everyone.

-- 
Damien Cassou

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill