Subject: [bug#72803] Add restic commands to the restic-guix package

From: paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 01:59:44 +0200

Hi Ludo',

On 3/10/25 22:41, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I’m not a restic user so I’m not super qualified, but I think the
> general direction should be to stick to our role of downstream users; if
> we go too far in terms of tooling around the software, then that
> suggests something’s missing from what upstream provides, and perhaps
> more importantly that’s a maintenance burden on us.
You were definitely right, I found out this has been known upstream for 
at least 10 years :( .  I found 
https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/16 which proves this is a 
missing feature upstream.  To avoid the maintenance
cost I'll drop the restic-guix package.  Its functionality can be 
implemented in a separate Guix based project or by using one of the 
different FOSS projects implementing a configuration file for restic.
>  From that perspective, I lean towards scenario b, but I trust you can
> find the right middle ground.

Thank you for your help, I'm sending a v9 which can hopefully be the 
final revision.

cheers,
giacomo