Subject: Re: bug#72803: Add restic commands to the restic-guix package

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 22:41:12 +0100

Hi,

paul <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 3/10/25 14:52, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I see two issues here:
>>
>>    1. This is stepping on the toes of upstream: why are we providing a
>>       non-trivial program like this downstream?
>
> In my understanding this is the fundamental issue, which could be a
> shipstopper. Please correct me if I'm wrong. We kind of are obviously
> even if restic-guix is already in the master branch ( ) . In my
> opinion the way forward should be: a. In this scenario we merge the
> current 72803 (after addressing your other comments) and we take this
> risk
>
> b. In this scenario we remove completely the current incomplete
> restic-guix command implementation from master, as it makes not much
> sense to have it incomplete as it is right now.
>
> I view scenario a and scenario b as mutually exclusive but I may be
> missing some implication, what is your opinion on this?

I’m not a restic user so I’m not super qualified, but I think the
general direction should be to stick to our role of downstream users; if
we go too far in terms of tooling around the software, then that
suggests something’s missing from what upstream provides, and perhaps
more importantly that’s a maintenance burden on us.

>From that perspective, I lean towards scenario b, but I trust you can
find the right middle ground.

WDYT?

Ludo’.