Subject: Re: bug#72795: 31.0.50; Make speedbar-add-supported-extension autoloaded

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 07:47:20 +0300

> From: "Mark A. Hershberger" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 15:25:40 -0400
> 
> On Sat, 2024-08-24 at 22:21 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > 
> > Sorry, I don't understand: an autoloaded function is always fboundp,
> > so what do you mean by the above?
> 
> My framing was wrong.  See the PR I have against powershell.el for an
> example of what I'm trying to do.
> 
> It is possible my PR is still wrong and require is the right thing in
> this case (not fboundp), but fboundp at least let's me get past the
> warnings about functions not known to be defined.

The need to (require PACKAGE) before calling functions from that
package is standard Emacs technique.  To prevent warnings during byte
compilation you could simply (require 'speedbar).  See the node
"Warning Tips" in the ELisp Reference manual for this and related
techniques.

I don't think speedbar or this function are special in any way, so I
don't think we need to do anything about this.