Subject: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 13:39:34 +0000

Hello,

when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).

I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-06-23 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-29.3 --with-cairo
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-tree-sitter
 --without-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  register-preview-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap mail-extr addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config gnus-and-mu4e mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main smtpmail
mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido
mu4e-obsolete emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug
backtrace helm-info smerge-mode diff view image-file image-converter
emms-config emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz
emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream emms-librefm-scrobbler
emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl
emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams
emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf ffap
helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher make-mode python conf-mode
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic
cl-extra ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat org-macs yank-media
markdown-mode color noutline outline flymake-shellcheck cus-start
flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt sh-script smie treesit
executable bug-reference naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
holiday-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server imenu psession frameset register-preview pcase
git-gutter mule-util dired-extension time winner describe-variable
help-fns radix-tree help-mode tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp
icons wid-edit helm-sys helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg
image-mode exif filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring
helm-regexp format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs isl-autoloads mb-depth avoid cus-load gcmh easy-mmode
all-the-icons-autoloads info ledger-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads request-autoloads w3m-load
w3m-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 622779 267540)
 (symbols 48 38173 14)
 (strings 32 217746 34780)
 (string-bytes 1 6801209)
 (vectors 16 81839)
 (vector-slots 8 1842673 491131)
 (floats 8 2349 1859)
 (intervals 56 3472 281)
 (buffers 976 136))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry