Subject: bug#72787: 31.0.50; Invalid describe-function completion candidates

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 16:22:23 +0200

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

>> AFAIU, the feature here would be loading library foo just in time for
>> you to get help about symbol foo-bar.  But the way this feature is
>> currently implemented is by including incorrect completion candidates.
>> That's not a feature, that's an implementation artifact, which
>> unfortunately happens to create an unpleasant UX :/

Thanks for your response.  For me, this is what I see with

  • emacs Q
  • (setq completions-format 'vertical)
  • C-h v TAB

This is what I see when I do `package-initialize'; I have dash.el
installed as a dependency:

>> So I suggest doing one of the following:
>>
>> - implement the feature differently, without this side-effect; or

>From the second image above, I'd say that the feature isn't working
correctly.

> Correction: I forgot that there's already a way to opt-out, by setting
> help-enable-completion-autoload to nil.

This is what I see after setting `help-enable-completion-autoload' to
nil:

Thanks for the pointer, I've set the variable to nil for now.

Best, Arash