Subject: bug#72787: closed (Re: bug#72787: 31.0.50; Invalid describe-function completion candidates)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 09:56:03 +0000

Your bug report

#72787: 31.0.50; Invalid describe-function completion candidates

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72787: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72787
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72787: 31.0.50; Invalid describe-function completion candidates
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 12:54:19 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 22:37:01 -0400
> From:  Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> >> This appears to be caused by commit
> >> 45ae4de0e7ce99c88c62f940f605bca693b8e33f:
> >>
> >> * lisp/help-fns.el (help-definition-prefixes): Don't delete the hashtable
> > Stefan's commit indeed seems related.  Stefan, could you maybe
> > have a look please?
> 
> I think this report makes it clear that
> 45ae4de0e7ce99c88c62f940f605bca693b8e33f should not have gone to
> `emacs-30` but to `master`.  AFAIK it did not fix a regression or even
> a user-visible bug.

Thanks, I've therefore reverted the above commit from the emacs-30
release branch, and I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; Invalid describe-function completion candidates
From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 12:54:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've stumbled upon an issue with C-h f completions, both on the release
branch and on the master branch:

1. emacs -Q
2. C-h f string-edit- TAB

In Emacs 29, this pops up the *Completions* buffer, with 3 completion
candidates, string-edit-{abort,done,mode}.  That's the expected
behavior, because "string-edit-" is not itself a valid candidate.

However, in the release and master branches I get a minibuffer message
saying "Complete, but not unique".  This is incorrect, because the input
is not complete.  Another TAB pops up the *Completions* buffer, which is
now showing 4 candidates: the expected 3 plus "string-edit-" itself.
Typing RET exits the minibuffer without asking for confirmation, and
yields an error: "Symbol’s function definition is void: string-edit-".

So it seems like "string-edit-" is being considered as a valid
completion candidate, while it shouldn't be.

Thanks,

Eshel