Subject: Re: bug#72769: 31.0.50; info-pop-to-buffer should respect display-buffer-alist

From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 15:03:37 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 10:28:20 +0300
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > I'd like to ask the opposite: are there any reasons to change the
>> > current behavior?  This command existed for quite some time, and no
>> > one has complained about its behavior so far.  Consistency by itself
>> > is not a reason good enough to make such changes, so are there other
>> > reasons?
>> >
>> 
>> The behaviour on how and where info is opened is not customizable as
>> opposed to for example the help or man where dispaly-buffer-alist is
>> respected.
>> While it wouldn't help existing users I think would help newer users.
>
> But the main command to show Info manuals is not info-display-manual,
> it's "M-x info".

Why is it not? If I know the manual I want to look at pressing C-h R is
a quick way to access a specific manual.

>> For my own personal use the issue is that I don't like when info doesn't
>> open in a new window so that I don't have open a frame/window to keep
>> looking at the existing thing I was doing at that time e.g. programming.
>
> The question is why do you need/want that when you invoke this
> particular command?  For that matter, under what circumstances do you
> invoke this command to begin with?

As said above open a specific manual. Why search in the info directory
when I know what I want?

In any case info should just follow follow the standard display-buffer
rules IMHO.