Subject: bug#72769: 31.0.50; info-pop-to-buffer should respect display-buffer-alist

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 18:43:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But the main command to show Info manuals is not info-display-manual,
> it's "M-x info".

(FWIW, I invoke info-display-manual several times a day; I like that it
prompts for the manual to open, with completion on names for manuals
installed in the standard paths)

>> For my own personal use the issue is that I don't like when info doesn't
>> open in a new window so that I don't have open a frame/window to keep
>> looking at the existing thing I was doing at that time e.g. programming.
>
> The question is why do you need/want that when you invoke this
> particular command?  For that matter, under what circumstances do you
> invoke this command to begin with?

Selected window shows code that I want to keep looking at: I invoke
  C-x 4 4 C-h R
to start browsing the manual of interest, keeping the code visible.

Selected window shows documentation I am done reading for now (a help
buffer, a manpage, another info manual): I invoke
  C-x 4 1 C-h R
to start browsing another manual, clobbering my "reference
documentation" window.

(This is while working on languages that have poor Info integration, of
course; C-h S serves me better in e.g. Elisp or Make code)

FWIW I am happy with the C-x 4 [14] status quo, but it makes sense to me
that some folks would have "info usage patterns" similar to mine, while
preferring to use display-buffer-alist rules.