Subject: bug#72769: 31.0.50; info-pop-to-buffer should respect display-buffer-alist

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 15:32:52 +0300

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 10:28:20 +0300
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'd like to ask the opposite: are there any reasons to change the
> > current behavior?  This command existed for quite some time, and no
> > one has complained about its behavior so far.  Consistency by itself
> > is not a reason good enough to make such changes, so are there other
> > reasons?
> >
> 
> The behaviour on how and where info is opened is not customizable as
> opposed to for example the help or man where dispaly-buffer-alist is
> respected.
> While it wouldn't help existing users I think would help newer users.

But the main command to show Info manuals is not info-display-manual,
it's "M-x info".

> For my own personal use the issue is that I don't like when info doesn't
> open in a new window so that I don't have open a frame/window to keep
> looking at the existing thing I was doing at that time e.g. programming.

The question is why do you need/want that when you invoke this
particular command?  For that matter, under what circumstances do you
invoke this command to begin with?