Subject: Re: [bug#72766] [PATCH 2/2] gnu: slurm: Enable REST API.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 17:03:05 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> I’m curious what the REST interface has to offer compared to DRMAA.

I don't know, to be honest.

I've started working on ravanan, a new implementation of the Common
Workflow Language that takes inspiration from Guix and integrates with
Guix for strong reproducibility.

https://git.systemreboot.net/ravanan/about/

ravanan uses the slurm REST API to talk to slurm, and that's why I need
this patch. I chose the slurm REST API over DRMAA rather arbitrarily. In
the future, I could support both in ravanan. So, it's still good to have
both.

>> +    (inputs (list dbus
>> +                  freeipmi
>> +                  http-parser
>>                    `(,hwloc-2 "lib")
>>                    json-c
>> +                  libjwt
>> +                  librdkafka
>> +                  libyaml
>> +                  linux-libre-headers
>>                    linux-pam
>> +                  `(,mariadb "dev")
>
> That’s quite a few heavyweight dependencies (‘linux-libre-headers’ is
> not necessary; it’s included by default).

Good catch! I'll remove it before pushing.

> It’s a bit of Inheritance Game in this file (ah ha!) so we should make
> sure the other slurm variants still work fine.  qa.guix hasn’t tested it
> yet.

I have built the other slurm variants, and they seem to build fine. I
also used these packages to migrate a cluster from ancient slurm 18.08
to modern slurm 23.02 in increments of two versions, and tested
functionality at each step. They all seem to work. So, I am relatively
confident these packages work.

Regards,
Arun