Subject: bug#72761: closed (Re: bug#72761: issues with Flymake online documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 09:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72761: issues with Flymake online documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72761: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72761
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72761: issues with Flymake online documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Lester Longley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 12:46:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Lester Longley <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 10:06:02 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Hi Eli,
> 
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2024 at 8:48 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Thanks, I've now fixed the relevant HTML page, and also modified the
> > script we use to produce HTML manuals to not perform this kind of
> > "editing" of HTML produced by makeinfo.
> 
> Thank you very much.  The Flymake manuals work fine now, as regards both issues.
> 
> (And the update you made to "admin/admin.el" was instructive, for me,
> re: the manual-generation infrastructure.)

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: issues with Flymake online documentation
From: Lester Longley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 12:43:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I see two issues at manual page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/flymake.html

(1) in sentence "See Eglot Features
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eglot.html#Eglot-Features>
 in Eglot: The Emacs LSP Client Flymake is also designed to be easily
extended to support new backends via an Elisp interface.",
the embedded link
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eglot_html/Eglot-Features.html#Eglot-Features
doesn't work (404 error)
I think the correct link should be:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eglot/Eglot-Features.html#Eglot-Features

The same issue is present at the "html_node" page
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/index.html

(2) the section
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/flymake.html#Mode-line-status
is empty, when I view it in Chrome 127, on a Chromebook, or in Chrome, on
an Android phone.
Here's browser snapshot from Chromebook; Android phone gives similar view:

The "empty" section is a table:

    @multitable @columnfractions 0.25 0.75
    ...
    @end multitable

This results in what appears (to me) to be normal HTML for a table
(excerpted from Chrome's view-source)

    <p>The following statuses are defined:
    </p>
    <table>
    <tr><td width="25%">[<var>nerrors</var> <var>nwarnings</var>
...]</td><td width="75%">Normal operation. <var>nerrors</var> and
<var>nwarnings</var> are, respectively,
    the total number of errors and warnings found during the last buffer
    check, for all backends. They may be followed by other totals for
    other types of diagnostics (see <a
href="#Flymake-error-types">Customizing Flymake error types</a>).</td></tr>
    <tr><td width="25%"><code>Wait</code></td><td width="75%">Some Flymake
backends haven&rsquo;t reported since the last time they
    where questioned.  It is reasonable to assume that this is a temporary
    delay and Flymake will resume normal operation soon.</td></tr>
    <tr><td width="25%"><code>!</code></td><td width="75%">All the
configured Flymake backends have disabled themselves: Flymake
    cannot annotate the buffer and action from the user is needed to
    investigate and remedy the situation (see <a
href="#Troubleshooting">Troubleshooting</a>).</td></tr>
    <tr><td width="25%"><code>?</code></td><td width="75%">There are no
applicable Flymake backends for this buffer, thus Flymake
    cannot annotate it.  To fix this, a user may look to extending Flymake
    and add a new backend (see <a href="#Extending-Flymake">Extending
Flymake</a>).</td></tr>
    </table>

Just in case, I tried toggling light/dark theme but didn't see the expected
table appear.

A clue, perhaps, from Chrome DevTools is that Chrome seems to parse *two*
tables here:

Yet this same table looks fine here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/Mode-line-status.html

Also, for reference, in "eww", this section shows the expected table:

I don't see any recent changes in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/doc/misc/flymake.texi?h=emacs-30
which
might pertain to these issues.

Regards,
Lester