Subject: Re: bug#72761: issues with Flymake online documentation

From: Lester Longley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 15:07:57 -0400

OK, here's a clue re: the first issue.

The flymake "nodes" (
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/ ) manual
(attempts) to make a relative "cross link" to the eglot "nodes" manual,
like so:

    <a data-manual="eglot"
href="../eglot_html/Eglot-Features.html#Eglot-Features">Eglot Features</a>

That "relative cross link" must not work, apparently, within the server
tree at /software/emacs/manual/

This happens regardless of
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/ vs.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/index.html
(I was hasty+wrong in claiming that that distinction was pertinent.)

OTOH, FWIW, the *mono* manual
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/flymake.html links like
this

    <a data-manual="eglot" href="eglot.html#Eglot-Features">Eglot
Features</a>

... which works.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 2:24 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Lester Longley <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 14:21:25 -0400
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > Thanks for taking a look at these items.
> >
> > Re: the first issue, on further experimentation,
> > it actually seems to manifest itself (as
> >
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eglot_html/Eglot-Features.html#Eglot-Features
> )
> > only if I go to this URL (w/o the trailing "index.html"):
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/flymake/
> > ... which must be the way I originally stumbled on this.
>
> Then I guess someone who knows more than I do about HTML will need to
> explain what happens there...
>