Subject: Re: bug#72757: No symbols in etc/NEWS

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2024 19:54:20 +0300

close 72757 30.0.60
thanks

>> >     M-: (modify-syntax-entry ?' "\"") RET
>> >
>> > in the NEWS buffer and C-h o seems to work everywhere.  I am not sure if
>> > we want ' to be "string quote" or punctuation like " already is, or
>> > something else.
>> 
>> Thanks, this looks like the right thing to do.
>
> I made that change, but please note that it is not enough to show each
> symbol in NEWS as the default when you type "C-h o".  This is because
> "C-h o" tests symbol-at-point for being bound, either as a function or
> a variable or a face etc., and if the corresponding library is not yet
> loaded, those tests will fail.

The problem was that 'describe-symbol' uses 'function-called-at-point',
but not anything to get a variable at point.  But now this is fixed,
and when a library is not loaded this is not a problem.

> If this is deemed okay, we can close this bug.

So I'm closing this bug.  The fix helped me to check
documentation while rereading some parts of etc/NEWS,
so small doc fixes are pushed now as well.