Subject: Re: bug#72735: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Make more bug-reference variables customizeable

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 15:23:50 +0100

Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Björn, can you please respin the patch to make these three variables
>> defcustoms?  Please also include the changes to the manual and NEWS.
>
> Sure no problem. Just to clarify still. I think the
> bug-reference-forge-alist should be customizeable too.

I guessed that and I'm not a big fan, see below. ;-)

> The default values are not enough and extended the central list is of
> forges similar as done in forge.el is a common feature. Most of the
> ones that could be put in to the list by the user can god in public
> configuration if so chosen.

I've just tested customizing forge-alist and it has the same problem
I've mentioned already.  When there is a custom value, that will be
restored and additions that might have taken place to the default value
are lost.  That's a severe defect.  Having forge-alist as a defcustom is
not a good thing.  You better add-to-list there.

We don't want to make the same mistake in bug-reference.  So either we
let it be a defvar or we do the job of having a defcustom
bug-reference-forge-alist (with default value nil) plus a defvar
bug-reference--default-forge-alist defining the default forges.  And
then the usages have to use a merged version of both where the entries
of bug-reference-forge-alist take precedence.

IMHO, that's quite some hassle for allowing customizing the list of
forges where a simple add-to-list would also do...

If you feel the need, please to that in a separate patch.  If the hassle
is not too bad, I might reconsider my opinion.

Thanks,
Tassilo