Subject: Re: bug#72735: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Make more bug-reference variables customizeable

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 17:05:10 +0100

Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Björn,

>> No, bug-reference should work out-of-the-box for every project
>> checked out of the forges in bug-reference-forge-alist.  Well, unless
>> you've set bug-reference-url-format globally which would turn off the
>> auto-setup.
>
> I get that point however not all or none, depending on one's usecase,
> might use forges to track bugs.

Sure, that's where .dir-locals.el or the three variables come into play.

>>> Or is the purpose of bug-reference mode GNU specific and not
>>> intended to be used for anything but GNU?
>>
>> As said, it works out-of-the-box for Github, several Gitlab
>> instances, codeberg, framagit, salsa.debian.org, and sr.ht.
>
> I know these where the where a customize variable works the easiest
> similar to Forge's forge-alist.

Sorry, cannot parse this sentence.

> Would it make sense to include common instances of FOSS projects such
> as for example Freedesktop, KDE and GNOME in to the
> bug-reference-forge-alist by default?

Yes, absolutely.

> I will try to send some patches in a few days.

As said, I'm positive about the three variables
bug-reference-setup-from-*-alist becoming defcustoms.  But for any other
defcustomization, especially those where additional "default" variables
need to be introduced, I don't think it's worth it.

Bye,
Tassilo