Subject: bug#72735: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Make more bug-reference variables customizeable

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 16:27:01 +0300

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 22:39:18 +0300
> 
> >> +FORGE-TYPE is the type of the forge, e.g., gitlab, gitea,
> >> +sourcehut, or github.
> >
> > This leaves it unsaid how these symbols are used, and what symbols are
> > recognized.
> 
> Does the original text not say that already? The choices over all the
> existing symbols which are accepted, if it doesn't make sense to
> e.g. add a custom symbol to extend the mode than removing the (symbol)
> choice is good.

It might be enough to say that those symbols are the only predefined
ones.  The text as it is leaves the impression that they are only
examples.  Also, something should be said regarding the differences
between the symbols: why does the user need to specify these symbols
and what could happen if they use a wrong symbol?

> > Finally, I think this warrants a NEWS entry.
> 
> Should the news entry explain similarly that the variables can be set
> with defcustom and have improved documentation?

Just the fact that they are now user options, that's all.