Subject: bug#72710: closed (Re: bug#72721: 31.0.50; Visual-wrap-prefix-mode breaks Magit log buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 05:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72721: 31.0.50; visual-wrap-prefix-mode freezes rendering in conjunction with diff-hl (fringe display)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72721: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72721
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72721: 31.0.50; Visual-wrap-prefix-mode breaks Magit log buffers
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 22:01:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 8/29/2024 4:47 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 11:41:40 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>>> Thanks.  How about adding these to test/manual/redisplay-testsuite.el?
>>
>> Do these look ok? It tests everything except window-specific overlays.
> 
> LGTM, please install.

Done in 91851fbbf53. I think everything's done now for this bug, so 
closing this. (If I missed something, just let me know.)

Subject: 31.0.50; visual-wrap-prefix-mode freezes rendering in conjunction with diff-hl (fringe display)
From: "Mark Hepburn" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 22:15:51 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--text follows this line--

Turning on the recently-merged visual-wrap-prefix-mode while using the
fringe display of diff-hl (a mode to display uncommitted file changes in
the fringe area) causes rendering to completely freeze.  No backtrace is
reported, although subsequent visual-line-move commands produce an
error.  Emacs itself is responsive, so the file can be re-opened with
`find-alternate-file'.

To reproduce from emacs -Q:
* Install diff-hl (clone https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl/, add to
load-path)
* open a file under version control
* M-x diff-hl-mode
* make some edits, ensure the fringe shows the lines highlighted (I
think it might need multiple lines affected)
* M-x visual-wrap-prefix-mode

For me the effect varies between a blank unresponsive buffer and a
buffer I can still see the contents (with the cursor frozen and
appearing unselected), but either way it is unusable.

It seems to be the fringe display; the same experiment with a clean file
had no effect.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-08-18 built on x1carbon
Repository revision: 909d1d02db1c11e1309316cba2a392e1456e6053
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation --without-mailutils
--with-xwidgets --with-tree-sitter --with-libsystemd
--prefix=/home/mark/.local'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Magit

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-treesit-fold-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  gdb-many-windows: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  repeat-help-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  whole-line-or-region-global-mode: t
  whole-line-or-region-local-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  prescient-persist-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  pyvenv-tracking-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  nerd-icons-completion-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-history-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/which-key-20240620.2145/which-key hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/which-key
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig-fnmatch hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig-fnmatch
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig-core hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig-core
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240814.1922/transient hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig-core-handle hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig-core-handle
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig-tools hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig-tools
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240813.801/editorconfig-conf-mode hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/editorconfig-conf-mode
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/hierarchy-20190425.842/hierarchy hides /home/mark/.local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/hierarchy

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug magit-extras magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
git-commit log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode benchmark magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf typescript-ts-mode tar-mode
treesit-fold-indicators treesit-fold treesit-fold-summary
treesit-fold-parsers tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli
treesit-fold-util tsc tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get tsc-obsolete fringe-helper
arc-mode archive-mode phps-mode phps-mode-syntax-table
phps-mode-lex-analyzer phps-mode-ast phps-mode-syntax-color
phps-mode-syntax-color-generator phps-mode-serial phps-mode-parser-sdt
phps-mode-parser phps-mode-lexer phps-mode-lexer-generator
phps-mode-cache phps-mode-indent phps-mode-macros phps-mode-flymake
term/xterm xterm ruby-mode buffer-move windmove cal-move secrets
nerd-icons-corfu visual-wrap expreg org-clock vertico-directory
move-text oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi verb verb-util js c-ts-common cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine mm-util
mail-prsvr org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs consult misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux nerd-icons-dired dired-preview yank-media
yaml-mode executable mule-util helpful cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs trace
cl-print edebug debug backtrace info-look help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs
lsp-diagnostics lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-modeline dap-mouse dap-ui
gdb-mi bindat gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history
bui-button bui-utils cus-edit cus-start cus-load view lsp-zig lsp-yang
lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-wgsl lsp-volar lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur
lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3 lsp-trunk
lsp-toml lsp-tilt lsp-tex lsp-terraform lsp-svelte lsp-steep lsp-sqls
lsp-sql lsp-sorbet lsp-solidity lsp-solargraph lsp-semgrep lsp-rust
lsp-ruff-lsp lsp-ruby-syntax-tree lsp-ruby-lsp lsp-rubocop lsp-roslyn
lsp-rf lsp-remark lsp-racket lsp-r lsp-qml lsp-pyright lsp-pylsp
lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-purescript lsp-pls lsp-php lsp-perlnavigator
lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-nushell lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-nginx
lsp-move lsp-mojo lsp-mint lsp-meson lsp-mdx lsp-marksman lsp-markdown
lsp-magik lsp-lua lsp-lisp lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-jq lsp-javascript
lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-haskell haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support flymake-proc flymake dabbrev
haskell-customize lsp-hack lsp-groovy lsp-graphql lsp-golangci-lint
lsp-glsl lsp-gleam lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint
lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elm lsp-elixir lsp-earthly lsp-dockerfile
lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-cypher lsp-cucumber lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls
lsp-crystal lsp-credo lsp-cobol lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-clangd
lsp-bufls lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-awk
lsp-autotools lsp-astro lsp-asm lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada
lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-actionscript lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc
xwidget image-mode dired-quick-sort savehist ls-lisp dired
dired-loaddefs exif treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags bookmark goto-addr
lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline flycheck lsp-ui-util face-remap
find-func lsp-dart lsp-dart-commands lsp-dart-flutter-widget-guide
lsp-dart-flutter-fringe-colors lsp-dart-flutter-colors lsp-dart-outline
lsp-dart-code-lens lsp-lens lsp-dart-test-tree lsp-treemacs
lsp-treemacs-generic lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations
treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse treemacs-faces treemacs-icons
treemacs-scope treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros
lsp-dart-test-output lsp-dart-test-support lsp-dart-dap
lsp-dart-devtools lsp-dart-flutter-daemon jsonrpc dap-utils xml
dap-elixir dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch lsp-docker yaml posframe
dap-overlays lsp-dart-closing-labels lsp-dart-utils lsp-dart-protocol
lsp-mode lsp-protocol spinner network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode
noutline outline inline imenu ht flutter flutter-l10n flutter-project
dart-mode compile text-property-search tramp-sh vagrant-tramp term
disp-table ehelp tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message
tramp-compat xdg shell parse-time iso8601 tramp-loaddefs vc-git
time-date vertico-repeat envrc inheritenv which-key repeat-help repeat
ligature whole-line-or-region diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher cape orderless prescient char-fold vertico server
elisp-slime-nav etags fileloop xref eros pp paredit cap-words superword
subword hideshow smartscan yasnippet-snippets yasnippet smartparens
loadhist hl-todo epa-file epa epg rfc6068 epg-config recentf tree-widget
init time session zenburn-theme powerline powerline-separators
powerline-themes custom-xml custom-vc smerge-mode diff custom-tabs
custom-stats custom-selection marginalia custom-rust custom-python
pyvenv custom-org custom-lisp custom-latex custom-js-web custom-hydras
hydra lv custom-haskell custom-general jka-compr unscroll corfu
nerd-icons-completion nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data
nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon
nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon
nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch
combobulate combobulate-yaml combobulate-css combobulate-js-ts
combobulate-python combobulate-html combobulate-ui transient
combobulate-display combobulate-contrib multiple-cursors
mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more sgml-mode facemenu dom
thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core comp comp-cstr warnings
comp-run comp-common rect combobulate-manipulation python project compat
pcase combobulate-navigation combobulate-misc combobulate-interface
combobulate-rules combobulate-settings diff-mode track-changes tempo
treesit diminish delsel hl-line autorevert filenotify saveplace
gnu-elpa-keyring-update custom-eshell eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext
esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
esh-module esh-module-loaddefs esh-util files-x custom-erlang polymode
derived poly-lock polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export
polymode-compat polymode-methods rx polymode-core format-spec
polymode-classes eieio-custom wid-edit eieio-base color custom-erc
custom-dart-flutter custom-c edmacro kmacro cl-extra help-mode gnu-linux
exec-path-from-shell custom-functions pixel-scroll cua-base ring
finder-inf f s dash package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt url-vars cl-seq
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core bytecomp
byte-compile advice cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib info
ansible-vault-autoloads apprentice-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
buffer-move-autoloads cape-autoloads casual-calc-autoloads
casual-lib-autoloads cider-eval-sexp-fu-autoloads clj-refactor-autoloads
cider-autoloads cljsbuild-mode-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
combobulate-autoloads company-autoloads consult-lsp-autoloads
consult-todo-autoloads corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
default-text-scale-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads diminish-autoloads
dired-git-info-autoloads dired-narrow-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dired-preview-autoloads
dired-quick-sort-autoloads docker-autoloads aio-autoloads
doom-themes-autoloads dotnet-autoloads easy-hugo-autoloads eat-autoloads
editorconfig-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads elixir-mode-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
emmet-mode-autoloads envrc-autoloads eros-autoloads
eval-sexp-fu-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads expreg-autoloads
fic-mode-autoloads flutter-autoloads free-keys-autoloads
git-messenger-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads github-clone-autoloads
gh-autoloads gnu-elpa-keyring-update-autoloads grip-mode-autoloads
helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads ibuffer-vc-autoloads inflections-autoloads
inheritenv-autoloads jq-mode-autoloads json-navigator-autoloads
hierarchy-autoloads ligature-autoloads lively-autoloads logito-autoloads
lorem-ipsum-autoloads lsp-dart-autoloads dart-mode-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads bui-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
lsp-haskell-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads lsp-pyright-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
macrostep-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads marshal-autoloads mix-autoloads move-text-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nerd-icons-completion-autoloads
nerd-icons-corfu-autoloads nerd-icons-dired-autoloads
nerd-icons-ibuffer-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads olivetti-autoloads
orderless-autoloads org-download-autoloads async-autoloads
org-roam-autoloads magit-section-autoloads emacsql-autoloads
ox-reveal-autoloads paredit-autoloads parseedn-autoloads
parseclj-autoloads pcache-autoloads pcre2el-autoloads
phps-mode-autoloads poly-ansible-autoloads jinja2-mode-autoloads
ansible-doc-autoloads ansible-autoloads polymode-autoloads
popup-autoloads powerline-autoloads prescient-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads
queue-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads repeat-help-autoloads
request-autoloads restclient-autoloads rustic-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads sesman-autoloads session-autoloads sharper-autoloads
sly-autoloads smartparens-autoloads smartscan-autoloads
spinner-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
systemd-autoloads tablist-autoloads toggle-case-autoloads
transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads
ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads treesit-fold-autoloads
fringe-helper-autoloads s-autoloads tree-sitter-autoloads try-autoloads
tsc-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads unfill-autoloads
vagrant-tramp-autoloads dash-autoloads verb-autoloads vertico-autoloads
visual-regexp-autoloads vlf-autoloads vundo-autoloads web-mode-autoloads
which-key-autoloads whole-line-or-region-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
xterm-color-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads
early-init rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 8478905 674468) (symbols 48 76145 5)
(strings 32 816048 145448) (string-bytes 1 17160624)
(vectors 16 181488) (vector-slots 8 2794651 298645)
(floats 8 2705 15503) (intervals 56 26684 8525) (buffers 992 83))