Subject: bug#72721: 31.0.50; Visual-wrap-prefix-mode breaks Magit log buffers

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 09:19:47 -0700

On 8/22/2024 2:53 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks for the test cases, they helped a lot.
> 
> Can you please try the patch below, including in the original use case
> with Magit?  I hope I've figured out all of the quirks of min-width
> and its possible uses, and the few extensions you demonstrated.  It
> should be possible now to have min-width on overlay strings as well, I
> think (but I didn't test that).

This works for me in all my test cases (except "overlay-min-width"), 
including the original report with Magit. I also replaced 
'Fget_text_property' with 'Fget_char_property' in 'get_display_property' 
and tested that: it works with all my test cases, including 
"overlay-min-width".

If you're not too worried about using 'Fget_char_property', I think that 
would be the preferable patch, since it would (probably?) make it easier 
for me to fix a small bug I noticed in 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode': I 
neglected to remove the 'min-width' properties when deactivating the 
mode. Using overlays for that might make it easier to wipe them out at 
the right time.