Subject: bug#7272: 24.0.50; Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error

From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:45:59 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 08:03:19PM +0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> >>>>> "AM" == Agustin Martin <[email-masked]> writes:
> AM> 1:20101024-1). Can you try with that newer emacs-snapshot, so we have more 
> AM> info about the problem?
> Bingo,
> Error enabling Flyspell mode:
> (Error: No word lists can be found for the language "zh_TW".)
> So at least we now know what is going on.
> However, how might I suppress this message without changing my ENV
> variables or touch(1)ing empty files etc.?

I guess you are using aspell (emacs-snapshot defaults to aspell if 
present), your LANG envar points to zh_TW, and there is no zh_TW aspell
dictionary present. Note that, unless an explicit dict is given, aspell 
will try to get its default dictionary after variables LANG or 
LC_MESSAGES. 

If so, the error you get is exactly what is expected, you tell flyspell 
to start spellchecking and since no specific dictionary is selected it 
tries to use one after LANG variable. Since the dict is not found 
aspell fails and flyspell catches the error.

Error should be similar when you just try spellchecking a test file
in the same ENV without an explicit dict option,

$ aspell check test.txt

If you want to avoid that error for emacs without touching your .emacs 
file (that  is, avoiding the error even when using the -Q option) or
for all aspell uses, you need to explicitly tell aspell about your 
desired dict, either in your aspell personal configuration file 
(~/.aspell.conf) or in the global one if you want to set that for all 
users.

An entry in aspell configuration file with something like

lang de_CH

pointing to your desired language should do the work. See 'man aspell' for
details.

I am probably guessing too much, but there is a good chance that this is
indeed the problem. If so, please close this bug report.

Hope this helps,

-- 
Agustin