Subject: bug#72705: 31.0.50; eglot--dumb-tryc Filters out too much

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 13:59:22 +0100

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 12:39 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > So I'd say this need more testing, especially with more servers.
> Here's hoping.

If you want this change, you'll have to do the testing.

> Thanks for the references, I'll dig in more.
>
> Surprised to hear that exit-function can be affected.

exit-function needs a fully formed completion.  try-completion's
and Emacs partial complete semantics aren't compatible.  ISTR
that even a full completion obtained via try-completion would
sometimes not run the function.  Maybe I'm misremembering.

This whole system is held  up by very thin wires unfortunately,
and a lot of people are relying on those wires.  The best choice
to use LSP's completions, which were obviously modelled after
other IDEs where completions are much simpler and similar to
the Company tooltip...   is  naturally to use something like
company (or corfu with some patch applied).

I hope you don't change any Company behaviour backward-incompatibly
(though I have my fork anyway, so no problem).

João