Subject: Re: bug#72704: 29.4; repunctuate-sentences ignores NO-QUERY

From: Joseph Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 21:48:26 -0700

Brian Green <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Visit any buffer containing text with sentences separated by one
> space instead of two.  
> 2. "C-u M-x repunctuate-sentences"
>
> Expected: "repunctuate-sentences" should repunctuate all sentences such
> that they end with two spaces, without querying the user.
>
> Actual: "repunctuate-sentences" enters the query-replace-regexp
> interface, as if "C-u" had not been pressed.

NO-QUERY does take effect if you evaluate the function noninteractively:

(repunctuate-sentences t (point-min) (point-max))

To my reading, the docstring of repunctuate-sentences does not imply
that the prefix argument should have any effect interactively. I think
this is a simple, reasonable feature request.  What do others think?

Best,

Joseph