Subject: Re: bug#72704: 29.4; repunctuate-sentences ignores NO-QUERY

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 09:18:33 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2024 23:00:03 -0400
> 
> The usual default behavior of Emacs commands that take START and END
> arguments is to operate by default on the reguon.
> `repunctuate-sentences' operates by default from point to EOB.  Is
> that wise?  Is there a reason why it should not follow
> the usual convention instead?

I'm not sure I understand your conclusions.  The interactive form of
repunctuate-sentences is this:

  (interactive (list nil (use-region-beginning) (use-region-end)))

This says the command will work on the region if it is active, and
otherwise on the part of the buffer from point to EOB.  So is your
comment about the fact that the region is required to be active (i.e.,
if transient-mark-mode is off, the command will NOT work on the
region), or is your comment about the fact that by default the command
works only from point and not on the entire buffer?

IOW, which other command(s) are you comparing this one with, when you
say "the usual default behavior"?